Sunday, October 20, 2013

How to use unwanted beer

I belong to a barter group.  At our last barter I picked up 3 bottles of some kind of beer and 1 large bottle of another.  I don't like beer, but Gene does.

Unfortunately, Gene didn't like either of these beers.  He deemed one "watery piss water" and the other was "a good, well-made beer but not my type".  He forbade me from getting  beer from people again.

So much for that.

We were stuck with four bottles of beer neither of us would drink.

With "Soup Week" well underway, it made sense to make a quick bread to accompany dinner.


Beer Bread 
From food.com

3 cups flour, sifted
3t baking soda
1t salt
1/4 sugar
12oz beer
1/4 cup butter, melted

  1. Preheat oven to 375 and grease a loaf pan.
  2. Mix dry ingredients with beer.
  3. Pour batter into the loaf pan.  Top with melted butter.
  4. Bake for 1 hour, then remove from pan and allow to cool for approximately 15 minutes.


I also made a delicious Irish stew with the big bottle of beer.  It was loosely based on this recipe.  Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures or write down my recipe changes.

What would you do with several bottles of unwanted or undrinkable beer?

3 comments:

  1. Barter group? You're in a barter group??!! I want to be in a barter group! I've actually been thinking of doing some sort of barter/exchange thing on my site for about a year now. barterbarterbarterbarter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes! I'm kinda overwhelmed with life lately but am bartering when I can. :D At Christmas I traded a tone of little knitted critters for a locally sourced ham.

    ReplyDelete